6 Ways to Cut Stainless Steel
What are different ways to cut stainless steel?
When stainless was created, by adding chromium to iron, for the first time in 1913, who could have forecasted the impact this material would have. For over a century, this corrosion resistant material and its use in industry continues to be key in technological advances. Over the years the technology used in cutting stainless steel has grown.
- Still in use is sawing with blades. You can cut SS with a metal saw blade, but it is not the often used process.
- Wire EDM- A method used to cut many parts holding the same pattern or features, at the same time.
- Hardened steel bits- Used in CNC process- great for cutting or drilling through.
- Water jet- This technology uses a very highly pressured stream of water to cut multiple materials including SS.
- Plasma cutting- Using highly pressurized gasses of oxygen, argon or nitrogen.
- Laser cutting- Using focused beams of light, Including multiple laser technologies such as; Ultraviolet, Infrared, and Fiber laser technology.