Custom Laser Cut Gaskets
A gasket is a shape of any desired material that is sealing an intersection between a part where conduction is mainly by electrons and a part where it is mainly by holes. Many industries require gaskets for their processes. The semi conductor industry is a good example. While the market is becoming increasingly demanding, industries are looking for faster, more powerful and smaller devices. The result is a higher demand for precision gasket cutting.
What is Custom Gasket Cutting?
Custom gasket cutting is the process that produces laser cut gaskets with very tight tolerance, as low as ±0.0005. There are many machines and technologies that can produce precision cut gaskets. For example, Waterjet can hold tolerances as low as +/- 0.005”-0.010”. Another example is a CO2 Laser, which can hold as low as +/- 0.002”. The machines that can cut the tightest gasket is the UV laser; it can hold up as low as ±0.0005.
Featured Custom Gasket Materials
Q-pad is a composite of silicone rubber and fiberglass. What makes this material special, besides its outstanding mechanical and physical attributes, is its flame retardant characteristics. Because of that, this material can be used in many applications in the semiconductor industry; for example to electrically isolate power sources from heat sinks.
Q-pad has attributes that can be perfect for many applications in the semiconductor industry, like:
- Thermal Impedance: 1.13°C-in2/W (@50 psi)
- Thermal Conductivity: 0.9 W/mK
- Maximum Usage Temperature: 356 F
Grafoil’s flexible composition is produced by chemically treating natural graphite flake to bond the layers and then heating them to decomposition. Grafoil is popular because it is flame retardant and easy to handle. Grafoil’s unique physical and chemical properties make it ideal for sealing and for high-temperature applications.
Grafoil’s sheets can be laminated together to form gaskets for many uses. Its attributes include:
- Thermal Conductivity: 5 W/mK
- Maximum Usage Temperature: 752 F
Why A-Laser for Laser Cut Gaskets?
- A-Laser has more than 30 years of experience cutting precision parts and offering laser cutting services.
- A-Laser has expert engineers that can evaluate your materials and recommend the best system to process them.
- A-Laser has two systems that can produce very precise gaskets: UV lasers and IR lasers. UV machines can be a great choice when cutting gaskets made from Grafoil, Q-pad or Kapton, while the IR machines are better for gaskets made from metal.
- A-Laser machine tables are 23 by 23 inches, which allows for laser cut gaskets up to that size.
- A-Laser QC department will both inspect the gaskets both visually and dimensionally-based on the print’s requirement.
- A-Laser is a quality driven company, which assures shipping gasket with the highest standers.
UV Lasers and IR Lasers are a very attractive choice when designing and producing custom gaskets for your process.